School Support Services

Hours of Operation

Monday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tuesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Wednesday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Thursday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday Closed
Sunday Closed


Soldier Support Center
Bldg. 4-2843
Google Map

+1 (910)432-1023 +1 (910)396-3338 +1 (910)643-6661

Military DSN Tel:
(312)239-1023, (312)236-3338, (312)593-6661

Write an ICE comment

We specialize in education transitions, and make sure incoming and exiting Families have information about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school services/programs, youth sponsorship programs and home schooling. We also help parents better understand the education process, school organization and interaction strategies.

Local School Summary (.pdf)

If you cannot find the answer to your question here, please e-mail or call our offices and speak to a School Liaison Officer.

Transitioning to Fort Bragg
Youth Sponsorship

Sponsors for your middle school or high school teens are available either through the youth program or school. 

Army Youth Sponsorship Program

The Youth Sponsorship Club can help your teen learn about their new community and make new friends. Getting involved quickly helps children and teens fit in and feel less stress associated with their PCS move. All it takes to join the club is a visit to the school age or youth center or contact the School Liaison Officer.

Youth Sponsorship Registration

Contact your School Liaison Officer (SLO) to request a sponsor.  You can download and use the Youth Sponsorship Request form below to help your SLO pair your child with a compatible sponsor.


youthsponosr pic.jpg

For Teens

Leadership Opportunities

There are leadership opportunities available in the community for Military-connected teens to volunteers and get leadership experience.

After School Activities

  • Child and Youth Services (CYS) After School Activities
  • Several local public schools have Army Youth Programs in Your Neighborhood (AYPYN), including EE Smith High School and Overhills High School.  These after school programs receive funding for our Military-connected children to participate!  Please inquire at your school if AYPYN is available.
Special Education Information

If you have a child with special needs, we can help you find information about the resources available in your school district. We can also help you connect with your local installation’s Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP) office. The EFMP is a mandatory enrollment program that works with other military and civilian agencies to provide comprehensive, coordinated, community support in areas such as housing, medical, educational and personal services to Families with special needs.


For more information, contact Ft. Bragg Exceptional Family Member Program (EFMP).

References and Resources for Special Education

Highly mobile children are entitled to an expedited process, including: a). evaluations in 30 days instead of 60 days, b) removed delays due to school district schedules for families moving during incomplete screenings, c) continued Extended School Year for students moving in the summer.

The Center for Parent Information and Resources offers education, acronyms, tools, webinars and a directory of local Parent and Information Training Centers to help parents advocate for their children. The center focuses on proactive support and personal accountability. 

Military OneSource has a range of resources to help with caring for a family member with special needs including education, health care, legal, financial points of contact, EFMP, School Liaisons, etc.

Military Community & Family Policy Office of Special Needs provides a directory of age-specific resources and States-at-a-Glance for localized special education resources and information.

Free Army sponsored online training for educators and parents on a host of special education topics at

DirectSTEP course listing 

DirectSTEP registration


Transition Support

We understand that military transitions for children include much more than school plans and enrollment. We have a number of resources to help make your move as easy as possible for the kids, including:

Military Kids Connect provides online age-appropriate resources to help parents, teachers and children cope with the unique challenges of military life.

The Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children (MIC3) addresses key transition issues military Families experience, including enrollment, placement, attendance, eligibility and graduation. All fifty states have signed the compact and are in varying stages of implementation and/or compliance. The compact applies to children of Active Duty service members, National Guard and Reserve members on active duty orders and members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired within past year. Read more. 

School Transition Information: School Liaison Officers are located on each installation to assist military Families with school transition and other education-related issues.  Go to Army OneSource for more information.

Military Youth on the Move the Department of Defense designed Military Youth on the Move as one-stop shop for parents and students with moves and deployment.

Academic and Behavioral Support

We can help you find information and resources for academic and behavioral support, including: for U.S. Military Families makes live tutors available online 24/7 to help with more than forty core subjects and standardized test preparation.  

Homework Support: Army Child & Youth Services provides homework labs in before/after school programs for elementary students at the School Age Center, and for middle and high school students at the Youth Center. 

Support/Resilience Programs:  School Support Services include information about other programs you can use for support and resilience-related issues.

Military Family Life Counselors (MFLCs) are available to meet in-person on or off the military installation. The free non-medical sessions are anonymous and may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings. Child Behavioral Specialists are located on the installation in Child & Youth Services programs, and in highly-impacted schools located on and off the installation.

Military OneSource has access to free non-medical counseling that’s anonymous and available online, by phone or in person. Twelve free sessions may occur in individual, couple, family or group settings.

Real Warriors is a multimedia behavioral health support center with tips for helping children cope with deployments and reunions.

National Military Family Association produces MyMilitaryLife, a free iPhone and Android app that provides Families with credible information tailored to your needs. 

Army One Source

Post Secondary Support

Our support doesn’t end with elementary education. If you have children preparing for academic life after high school, we can help you find information about testing opportunities, scholarships and military-specific resources that can help you plan.

Military-Specific and Government Academic Support information: G.I. Bill

Transferability of Educational Benefits:

In-State Tuition Programs for Military: Service members on active duty for a period of more than thirty days and their dependents are eligible to receive in-state tuition at many public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. An enrolled dependent may pay in-state tuition as long as he or she remains continuously enrolled at the institution, even if the service member is reassigned outside of the state. Regulations outlined in the Higher Education Opportunity Act, 2008 (P.L 110 - 135) and the Higher Education Act of 1965

College and Career Readiness: College and career readiness includes the content knowledge, skills and habits that students must have to be successful in post-secondary education. It also includes training that leads to a sustaining career. A student who is ready for college and career can qualify for and succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing college courses without needing remedial or developmental coursework.

Let us help you plan for your child’s college and career readiness:

College and Career Readiness

College and Career Readiness and Success 

Counselor Connection 

Army One Source Military Scholarship Handbook

Post Secondary Education Information

In-State Tuition

In-State Tuition is available for Service Members and Family Members for the following situations:

  • Eligibility in state of legal residence Military personnel and their spouse/dependents remain eligible for in-state tuition benefits as long as North Carolina remains their home of record and maintain significant contacts with the state.
  • Eligibility in state of assignment In-state tuition rates apply to active duty military members and spouses/dependents of those members who are stationed in the state of North Carolina.
  • Continuity of in state eligibility once established If the member of the armed services removes his or her abode from North Carolina during an academic year, the dependent relative shall continue to be eligible for the in-state tuition rate. Military personnel and their dependents remain eligible for the in-state tuition benefit upon reassignment as long as they are continuously enrolled in a degree program.


Local Junior/Technical Colleges

Local Colleges/Universities



Below is a list of Military-Connected Scholarships.  This is not a comprehensive list; Families and students are also encouraged to contact their school's guidance office for other scholarship opportunities.

Home School

Home Schooling has become mainstream and widely-used. We offer resources and information to help you provide quality home-based education.

Home School Legal Defense Association provides information on home school law, and general support and information about homeschooling.

Home Schooling in North Carolina

Information About Home Schooling in North Carolina

Policies, Programs, and Memorandums

Impact Aid
Since 1950, Congress has provided financial assistance to local school districts through the Impact Aid Program. Impact Aid was designed to assist local school districts that have lost property tax revenue due to the presence of tax-exempt Federal property, or that have experienced increased expenditures due to the enrollment of federally connected children (e.g. Military connected children).


Fort Bragg Military School Partnership Program
The Fort Bragg Military School Partnership Program contributes Military resources and services to schools in order to nurture the intellectual, emotional, social and physical growth of children of the surrounding Fort Bragg area, to increase public awareness of the Army’s mission and to foster good relations.


Master Policy 115:  Parent Teacher Conferences As The Place of Duty
To ensure Soldiers who are parents or guardians of school-age children participate in scheduled parent/teacher conferences.


Stabilization Policy
The Stabilization Policy allows soldiers with high school senior to request stabilization from PCS movement during the child’s senior year.


Home Alone Policy
Safeguarding children and youth is a parental responsibility. Parents are to make appropriate advance provisions for supervision during out-of-school periods of time. You may view the .pdf file by clicking on the Home Alone Policy link.  Home Alone Policy (.pdf)


Public Schools Block Leave Excused Absence Policy
Cumberland, Hoke, Harnett, and Moore County Schools include attendance policies in their Board of Education Policies that address Military-connected students.  The policies state that a student whose parent or legal guardian (a) is an active duty member of the uniformed services as defined by policy 4050, Children of Military Families, and (b) has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from deployment to a combat zone or combat support posting will be granted up to five additional excused absences upon approval by the superintendent or designee to visit with his or her parent or legal guardian.

Fort Bragg Schools Regulations also provide families with the ability for excused absences (

Conditions in which the school may grant excused absences for block leave:

  • The excused absence is pre-approved.
  • Your student is in good standing.
  • Your student has a prior record of good attendance.
  • Missed work is completed and turned in within the school’s allotted time period.
  • Absence is not during standardized testing dates.

Please contact your local school for additional information.

For Educators

Resources for Educators

Frequently Asked Questions







What is the best school in the area and how can I enroll my child at that school?

Unfortunately, School Support Services cannot answer that question of which is the best school.

The best school is not the school with the best grades, best sports program, or even best teachers.  The "best" school is simply the school that provides the educational environment for which your particular family and student is looking.

Example 1: A school may have the best SAT/ACT scores, but if the teachers are unresponsive and staff uncooperative toward a family; that school MAY not be the best school for that family.

Example 2: A school may have low test scores, but a family with a struggling child has teachers to provides excellent care and does everything they can for that child to improve.  That family may feel they have the "best" school.

Do not judge a school by grades or ratings. A school is more than just its grades andthere is no official ranking scale (as many school or realtor websites may boast).

If there is a particular school you want your child to attend, it's best to find a house in the district in which the school serves.  Please make sure you contact either the school district or the School Liaison Officer to confirm the school.  There have been several occasions when realtor information about schools have been incorrect.




Can School Support Services circumvent school policies?

No. Under no circumstance can Fort Bragg or School Support Services ever circumvent school policies.

Previous example questions include:

    1. Is there an exception to policy to allow my child to attend school on Fort Bragg (including all forms of hardships)?  No.
    2. I don't feel my child should be suspended for fighting, can School Liaison Officers do anything to keep my child from being suspended? No.
    3. Can School Liaison Officers make the schools provide excused absences because the Soldier just returned from deployment? No.




How can School Support Services assist me in choosing a school?

It is a common question from parents to ask School Support Services which is the best school in the area.  Since educational success differs for each student and family, School Support Services cannot recommend the “best” school. 

However, School Support Services can provide guidance on how to select a school.  These decision often are based the needs of the child, academic and extra-curricular interests and housing decisions.  All surrounding schools have successful children, School Support Services can assist Families choose a school that can best fit their children.




Where does my child attend school?

Your child will attend schools in the district in which they live.  If you live in Cumberland County, you will attend Cumberland County Schools, if you live in Hoke County, you will attend Hoke County Schools, if you live in Fort Bragg, you will attend Fort Bragg schools, etc.

See "Local School Districts" above for more information about school attendance areas around Ft. Bragg.




Can my child attend Fort Bragg Schools if we live off post?

No. If you have opted reside off post, then your child must be enrolled within the county. 

Fort Bragg does not accept registrations from families residing off post.  However, if you are residing off post WITH a 90-day letter from Fort Bragg Housing stating that you will be residing on post within 90 days, Fort Bragg Schools will register your child (transportation is not provided from off post schools).

There are no exceptions to policy, no matter the hardship. 




Fort Bragg doesn’t have a high school, where does my teenage attend high school?

Teens residing on Fort Bragg attends EE Smith High School in Cumberland County as their host high school.

Cumberland County Schools has some choice options for high school students.  Keep in mind that choice options are through an application process between mid-January to mid-February of the previous school year.  

If your family transitions to Fort Bragg after the deadline before the school year starts, you may still submit an application, but will placed low on the waitlist.

If your family transitions to Fort Bragg during the school year, you may request an out of district transfer or a choice school; however, the probability of the school granting the request is very low. Do not expect to be granted an out of district transfer.

Visit the Cumberland County Schools website for more information about Governed Choice Schools.

Teens residing in Linden Oaks attend Overhills High School in Harnett County as their host high school.  




At what age can my child start school?

If the child reaches the age of five years on or before August 31st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment, the child is eligible to enroll in Kindergarten. If his fifth birth date falls on or after September 1st, the child is not eligible to enroll.

If you are enrolling your student on Fort Bragg Schools, they must be the age of five on or before September 1st of the year he/she is presented for enrollment.  




Can I enroll my child into Kindergarten prior to being 5 years old?

There is a process and requirements to put your child into Kindergarten. Read below for more information.

North Carolina State Board of Education Policy Manual

Policy Identification Priority: High Student Performance 

Category: Kindergarten/Early Childhood 

Policy ID Number: HSP-J-001

Policy Title: 16 NCAC 6E.0105 Policy delineating the standards for early admission to kindergarten

Current Policy Date: 07/09/1998

Administrative Procedures Act (APA) Reference Number and Category: 16 NCAC 6E .0105


(a) To determine the eligibility of a four-year-old child to enter kindergarten pursuant to the provisions of G.S. 115C-364(d), the principal shall confer with a committee of professional educators to consider for each child the following factors: (1) Student Aptitude. The child shall be precocious in academic and social development and shall score at the 98th percentile on a standard individual test of intelligence such as the Stanford-Binet, The Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence, the Kaufman Anderson, or any other comparable test administered by a licensed psychologist. (2) Achievement. The child shall be functioning from two to three years beyond the child’s peers. The child shall score at the 98th percentile on either reading or mathematics on a standard test of achievement such as the Metropolitan Readiness Test, the Stanford Early School Achievement Test, The Mini Battery of Achievement, the Woodcock-Johnson, the Test of Early Mathematics Ability (TEMA), the Test of Early Reading Ability (TERA), or any other comparable test administered by a licensed psychologist, a member of the psychologist’s professional staff, or a professional educator who is trained in the use of the instrument and who has no conflict of interest in the outcome of the assessment. (3) Performance. The child shall be able to perform tasks well above age peers as evidenced by behaviors in one or more areas such as independent reading, problem solving skills, advanced vocabulary, and some writing fluency. The parent shall submit a sample of the child’s work that shows outstanding examples of ability in any area including, but not limited to, art, mathematics, writing, dramatic play, creative productions, science, or social interactions. The principal may also require a teacher to complete an informal reading assessment of the child. (4) Observable Student Behavior/Student Interest. The child shall demonstrate social and developmental maturity sufficient to participate in a structured setting for a full school day. The child shall be capable of following verbal instructions and functioning independently within a group. The parent shall provide two recommendation letters with specific documentation of physical and social maturity from preschool teachers, child care workers, pediatricians, or others who have direct knowledge of the child. Useful documentation checklists include the California Preschool Competency Scale, the Harrison Scale, or any other comparable scale of early social development. (5) Motivation/Student Interest. The principal or principal’s designee shall conduct an informal interview with the child and a more structured interview with the parent to determine if the child displays a thirst for knowledge and seeks new and challenging learning situations.

(b) The parent shall present the information required by this Rule to the principal within the first 30 calendar days of the school’s instructional year. All testing shall be administered after the April 16th that follows the child’s fourth birthday. The principal shall decide whether to grant the parent’s request for enrollment within three weeks after receiving this information. The principal may conditionally enroll the child for up to ninety days in order to observe whether the child is able to adjust to the school setting. If the principal determines that the child has not adjusted to the school setting, the principal shall deny the request for enrollment. However, before the child is exited from school, the principal shall invite the parent to assist in the development of intervention strategies for the child. If those strategies are not successful, the principal shall provide the parent at least 10 days notice before exiting the child from school so the parent may arrange child care, if needed.

(c) LEAs may require parents to supply information in addition to that required by this Rule. LEAs may also require specific tests or other measures to provide information relating to the factors listed in Paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(d) Early admission to kindergarten shall not automatically result in the placement of the child in the program for academically gifted students. By the time the child has been enrolled for 90 calendar days, or at any earlier time that school officials determine that the child has adjusted satisfactorily and shall be allowed to remain in school, the gifted identification team shall review the child’s information to determine if the child shall receive gifted services. If the team determines that the child shall receive gifted services, it shall develop either a differentiated education plan or an individual differentiated education plan for the child 




I am moving to the area. How do I enroll my child in school?

Enrollment is handled at the local level. Please contact your school district or the installation School Liaison Officer for further details.